Evangelical and reformed church of Jieznas at the beginning of the XVII century put beginnings for the church of St. Archangel Michael and John the Baptist in Jieznas. In the middle of the XVII century, nobleman Steponas Kristupas Pacas took care of the church and it was given to Catholics. The church was rebuilt and sanctified in 1670. There are 11 altars of late baroque style, precious works of art in this church.   

It might be that the church in Jieznas was built in the XVI century. Evangelical and reformed church was mentioned in 1611. Catholic Church inventory was mentioned in 1640. In 1643, the parish priest received as a present 2 farm estates and obliged to build a brick church. Steponas Kristupas Pacas took care after the construction of the church. It was built in 1655 and consecrated in 1670 (on the initiative of chancellor K.Z.Pacas of Grand Duchy of Lithuania). Steponas Kristupas Pacas established a sanctuary in 1645. The parish school was established at the end of the XVIII century.
On the initiative of Antanas and Terese Pacai, the church was enlarged and decorated with mural paintings (2 towers, a presbytery and two lateral sacristy were built) during the period of 1768-1772. The church was consecrated for the second time in 1772, and Russian soldiers robbed it in 1794. After the church arches had cracked, the authority allowed renovating it in 1872 and gave 4000 roubles for restoration works in 1876. Wall paintings were restored. After the Second World War, parish priest Vincentas Vaiciulis of Jieznas was arrested and was exiled to Siberia. He returned to Lithuania in 1960 and died in Jieznas.

Address: Vilnius St. 2, Jieznas, Prienai District, map

The first wooden church was built in 1609 m. During the war, the church burnt down in 1655. The second new church was built in 1674, later when the building got old, in 1750, the third present church was built from pine timber. During the XIX–XX centuries, the church was renovated and redecorated many times, inside and outside of the church was painted, the roof was changed, new floor was put. The church is located on the smooth surface, out-of-the-way of the main street, to the north of the Nemunas river. It is surrounded by the irregular shape altar, which has brick chapel on the east side. The plan of church is Greek cross shape, with three naves. The remaining composition of the main façade of the middle of the XVIII century, is typical of baroque. Prienai church is one of the oldest and most beautiful sacral buildings of wooden architecture in Vilkaviskis Diocese.

Address: Kestutis St. 9, LT-59129 Prienai, map

The church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary into Heaven is in Pakuonis town, on the right bank of the river Kuone (the left affluent of the Nemunas river). Pakuonis church was built in 1792, at the same time, bishop Ignotas Jokubas Masalskis formed a committee to establish Pakuonis parish that received villages of Darsuniskis parish, which were on the left bank of the river Nemunas. The parish school was mentioned in 1819. When the church bulding got old, parish priest Kazimieras Jasiulevicius-Jasulaitis together with parishioners built a present brick church in 1883. Assistant bishop Juozapas Olekas consecrated it in 1886. Vicar Juozapas Smulkstys of Pakuonis supported the distribution of prohibited Lithuanian press and book-spreaders.
During the search in 1989, manuscript sermons in Lithuanian written by priest J.Smulkstys were taken away. The priest spent two years in servitude in Odessa. A unit of „Ziburys” fellowship established in 1907. A library-reading room was established in 1910. During the First World War, the tower of the church was exploded.

Premises of presbytery were destroyed and the church was damaged in 1944. It was renovated in 1945. Parish priest Pranas Lingys renovated the church in 1975. The parish priest was persecuted for the permission given to workers of church pillars to draw the columns of Gediminas.
The church is historical, built according to a rectangular plan, with a small tower, lower apse and premises.

Address: Tylos St. 18, Pakuonis, LT-59319 Prienai District, map
Website: http://www.pakuonioparapija.lt

The church of the Holy Trinity is in the very centre of Stakliskes town. It was finished to build in 1776. The first churchyard of the town was built in1586; however, it was burnt down by Russian soldiers. The new building of late baroque style was built on the initiative of the head of Stakliskes Neighbourhood Juozapas Boufalas. The building has two towers, a criss-cross plan, and one nave with a low dome. Inside of the church, there is baroque interior, and many protected precious things such as organs, a pulpit, and paintings of the XIX century. Motives of the Boufalo family’s coats of arm are memorialized in the shapes of the altar, the baptistery and the pulpit. One of three bells in the belfry is founded in 1631. In the XVIII century, a brick chapel was built near the church, nowadays there is a statue built for commemoration of the tenth anniversary of Lithuania Independence.
The church of the Holy Trinity is the building of late baroque architecture. It was built in Stakliskes town, at the end of the XVIII century. The church is built according to a criss-cross plan; it has a nave and a transept, which crossing marks a blind orbicular arch. The main façade is supported with three-stage towers, back façade is supported with a triangular apse. Contrasts of narrow towers, wide chapels and low sacristies create rhythm of sidelong facades. A short nave, three arches porch, two sidelong chapels, a presbytery and choirs form the inner space of the church, which planning solution is typical for late baroque. The great altar of the church has two floors, it is lifted on the plinth, has traditional composition (at the bottom – sculptures of Saint Joseph and Saint Virgin). Additionally, four altars of the church is set in the transept chapels. Some few precious art and sculptural works of the XVII-XVIII centuries have remained until nowadays, the most valuable ones of them are a painting “Saint Trinity” and a sculpture “The Crucifix”.

Address: Vilnius St. 5, Stakliskes, LT-59368 Prienai District, map

The church is situated in the centre of Stakliskes, 1 km away to the north from Jieznas-Aukstadvaris road.

St. Luke’s church of Veiveriai is in Veiveriai town, nearby Marijampole-Kaunas road. Until 1782, the chapel was built in Veiveriai. Later in the place of the chapel, the owner of Aukstoji Freda Manor Juozas Godlevskis built a wooden church in 1818. It was an affiliated society of Zapyskis parish and served by Zapyskis vicars. A parish school was mentioned in 1818. The parish was established in 1846.
In 1853, J.Godlevskis built a present church. Assistant bishop Juozapas Olekas of Seinai consecrated it in 1887. A unit of “Ziburys” fellowship (the head was priest A.Skarzinskas) and a library-reading room were established here in 1907. The unit of Lithuanian Catholic Temperance Society operated here from 1909 to 1914, later in 1912, the house for this society was built, and a shop and a tea-shop were there too.

During the First World War, the church was destroyed, a part of the tower was demolished. In 1922, it was started to rebuild the church. During 1934-1935, priest Mykolas Krupavicius renewed the church: the tower was heightened, the church was enlarged and painted, the ceilings were reinforced, and new floor was installed. All the works were finished by priest Juozas Salcius (1900-1988), (the priest was in prison in Karaganda for 6 years). After the Second World War, priest Antanas Pangonis built a brick presbytery. The government expropriated it.

The church has neo-renaissance style, a rectangular shape, one tower with apse. The fence of the churchyard is from metal constructions (the plinth is brick).

Address: Kauno St. 39, Veiveriai, LT-59295 Prienai Region Municipality, map
Phone: +370 319 68 144

The Lepelionys Mound dates back to the first millennium – the beginning of the second millennium. The shape of the mound slightly reminds a hat, which was popular in the XIX century. Due to this reason, it was given one more name – Napoleon’s Hat. The mound is also known as Kristapiskiai mound. In the area of 3,5 ha, there used to be an ancient settlement, where smooth and rough pottery was found. The findings are kept in the Lithuanian National Museum.

Stakliskes Neighbourhood,
Prienai Region Municipality.

The mound can be reachedtaking the road Prienai–Trakai (A16) – going down to the valley past Stakliskes, on the right side of the road.

Coordinates: 54°34′20″N 24°21′50″E, map

Maciunai Mound dates back to the first millennium – the beginning of the second millennium. Nearby Maciunai Mound, there is Maciunai Hill called Bride’s Hill. A legend says that once upon a time groomsmen travelled to Prienai. The bride wished they stopped there and she hid behind the hill. The bride’s groomsmen had been looking for and calling her for a long time, however, she has never been found.

The mound was set up on the hill, on the left bank of the Morkunupis. The square site is directed towards southwest – northeast sides, its length is 5 m, and itswidth is 8 m (it was 20×10 m in 1953). On the northeast side of this site, there is the mound, which height is 1,2 m, and its width is 12 m, on the southwest side, there is the mound, which height is 1 m and its width is 8 m. To the southwest of the mound there is a ditch, which width is 4 m and its depth is 0,5 m, and there is the second mound, which height is 0,5 m, and its width is 9 m. The external downhill of this mound is 1,5 height and it goes down to a three-cornered terrace of 8 m length and 6 m width. Downhills are steep and 12 m height.

How to find it?

It can be reached taking the road Prienai–Kaunas – on the left side of the road leaving Prienai town (passing the road sign „Prienai”) and starting to go up to the hill of the Nemunas valley. Map

The mound is ruined with bumps, which were left in the middle of the XIX century, when the mound was being excavated by parish priest Kazakevicius of Plutiskes Parish (there were found 2 knives and a shinbone). Nowadays it lies waste.
Around the mound, there used tobe an ancient settlement which covers three ha area, where earthen distaff, lined, rough and smooth pottery and slag were found.

The mound dates back to the first millennium – the beginning of the second millennium.

How to find it?
Silavotas Neighbourhood, Prienai District.
The mound can be reached taking the road Klebiskis – Igliauka, in Pašlavantis you need to turn left taking the south direction and passing 500 m towards a farmstead (it is on the left side).

Coordinates: 54°45′50″N   23°43′30″E, map

Near Bagrenas village (Prienai Neighbourhood), on the left bank of the river Nemunas, there are two overlooking mounds. It is not much known about them; however, Bagrenas village and a former manor together with nearby Rudupis village were mentioned a long time ago in 1609. These both villages were royal and their peasants were free.

Zarijos mound is located on the left downhill of the Nemunas valley. On the east and west sides, it is surrounded with deep hollows, on the south side, there is a swampy Nemunas valley, only on the north side, there is cultivated land. Also, there is an indentation of 20 meters width, it seems that it used to be a canal. Behind it, there is a bulwark of 10 m height and 35 m length, it is made of dark soil and burnt clay. Behind the bulwark, a big site shelves down with a quite high fall to the south direction.

Downhills of the mound are high, from the Nemunas side they reach 32 m height and they are very steep. Trees overgrow the mound. Pottery with moulded, rough and smooth surfaces and thrown ceramics were found in the plough lands in the north-west of the mound. The mound hides in a forested, hardly accessible area, so it is hard to reach it.

To the southeast of this mound, there is a Zarija II mound with a settlement. The mound is 150 x 280 m size; it has an irregular shape. It is surrounded by hollows. The mound has a site which length is 15 m and width is 6-7 m. To the north of the mound, there is a steep scarp. Some people say that on the mound there used to be weapon warehouses, others – that there used to be a church on the mound.

How to find it?
It can be reached taking the road Strielciai–Pociunai passing Bagrenas, before the first bigger turn of the road to the left, turning to the right (south).
120 m towards a farmstead (there is 100 m of it to the south, in the edge of a wood).

Coordinates:
LKS:   N6056614,49; E500455,39
WGS:   N54°38’45.7″; E24°00’25.4″
Map

The mound is located on the left bank of the river Nemunas, on a separate hillon the edge of the valley. The site is round, 17 m diameter. On the northwest side of the mound there is a bulwark of 1 m height and 6 m width. The downhills are steep, 20 m height. Rarefied tress overgrow the mound, the southwest downhill lies waste. On the east-southeast hillside of 3 ha area there is an ancient settlement explored in 1956-1957. While exploring the mound, cultural layer with fireplaces, swaps pits, clay spindle, an iron awl, dashed, rough, polished and smooth ceramics, animal boneswas found there. Previously, thrown pieces with wavy writing were found there.
In 1956-1957, O.Kunciene explored almost the whole site (209m2). A cultural layer of 1,2-2,5 m was discovered, and two horizons were distinguished in it. An oval building of 6×4 size of pillar construction with clay dirt floor and open fireplace was foundin the site centre of the lower horizon of up to 65 cm thickness. Later, it was interpreted as a pagan temple with rocky cobbles, lined ceramics. In the upper horizon of up to 60 cm thickness, remains of fireplaces, rocky cobbles, a fragment of an iron bradawl, rough ceramics were found there.
The mound dates back to the first millennium.

How to find it?
The mound can be reached taking the road Pakuonis – Piliuona, turning into Kebliskis – Backininkeliairoad, going down to the Nemunas valley, taking the left turn (north-west) and passing 300 m of a cart-road (it is 100 m to the right (north-east) from the road).

Coordinates:
54°43′50″N 24°05′35″E, map

Prienai Region Museum is public legal entity, juridical form is municipal budgetary institution of the district, the proprietor is Prienai District Municipality, an institution that implements rights and duties of the proprietor is the Board of Prienai District Municipality.

Registration date of the museum is the 10thApril, 1996.

History of the museum is still fresh since the Prienai Region Museum was established after Reinstatement of Lithuania’s Independence, in the house of famous engineer Cezaris Psemeneckis who came from Prienai. Prienai Region Museum preserves cultural history, ethnography, folk art of our district and collections of museum worth reflecting our regional famous people’s lives and creations, accumulated valuables are exposed. The museum accomplish not only functions of accumulating and preserving museum valuables, but also actively implements cultural, study, educational, informative activities; the museum seeks to become inseparable part of our regional society’s life by providing its services.

The museum has 4 subdivisions: The Household Museum of Skriaudžiai – Exposition of Calendars; Writer Vincas Mykolaitis Putinas’ farmstead – Memorial Museum; Silavotas “Davatkynas”; The Museum of Historical Memory of Veiveriai Land. Exposition of Partizan Juozas Luksa-Daumantas.

17 employees work in the museum and its subdivisions. Our museologists are ready kindly serve visitors. The Museum Board has the right of advisory voice in the management of the museum. Prienai Region Museum is a member of Lithuanian Museums Association, takes part in activities of the community of Municipal Museums’ directors.

You are invited to take part in educational programmes (a bread way, making candles and others), to visit exhibitions and events organized by the museum.

Address: F. Martisius St. 13, LT- 59118 Prienai, map
Phones: +370 319 60 379, +370 652 99 077, +370 656 37 554 – order of educational programmes
Email: info@prienumuziejus.lt
Website:  http://www.prienumuziejus.lt/en/

Silavotas „Davatkynas“ is situated on a picturesque slope of Trakelis. Its founder is M. Dabrisiute, who started to live here in 1895. During the period of 100 years, 14 women called „davatkelemis“ lived in this non-formal nunnery. They did not get married, lived very modestly, did kindnesses, nursed patients, and helped the church. “Davatkynas” has been a subdivision of Prienai Region Museum since 2007. Workshops of painter A.Vilpisauskas has become traditional ones in „Davatkynas“.

Davatkynas is situated on the most beautiful slope of Trakeliai, approximately about 0,7 km away from Silavotas town. More than one hundred years here used to be an original nunnery, where devotional women – „davatkele“ lived, who did kindnesses for the whole parish. They did not get married and have families, lived very modestly, and prayed for all. The sick felt their particular kindness, because each of them took care of their own sick person. They were concerned about disadvantaged and sick people. Every day „Davatkeles“ attended Mass, prepared children for the First Communion, helped priests, took care after the church. During Soviet times, one of them was sentenced for these activities. During post-war times, they gave a shelter for their neighbours, who hid from exile at their home. Kindness and warmth have been spreading from this place for many years.
Davatkynas’ founder M. Dabrisiute started to live here in about 1895. Later, the other worshippers built up little houses. Old inhabitants tell stories how people were taught writing here – it might be that there used to be a „daraktoriu school“ („saraktorius“ is a teacher in an illegal Lithuanian school in the period of prohibition of Lithuanian press); or it might be that during the First World War it used to be a simple school when an official school was not functioning. Once even 14 inhabitants of „Davatkynas“ chanted litanies. At that time there were 7 little houses. “Davatkeles” used to invite their relatives, friends to stay in their tiny rooms.

How to find us?
11 Lašašos St, Naujasodis village, Šilavotas Parish, Prienai Distric Manucipality (about 0,7 km away from Silavotas town) Silavotas „Davatkynas“ – a subdivision of Prienai Region Museum. (map)
Website:  http://www.prienumuziejus.lt/en/exposition/the-museum-of-the-village-of-pious-women-in-silavotas/

In the exposition for partisan Juozas Luksa-Daumantas, there are materials, documents, books telling his heroic sacrifice for Lithuania. Also, there are valuable material exhibits such as a small picture given by his wife Nijole Brazenaite-Luksiene, which she received as a present from her husband on the occasion of their wedding, a portrait of J.Luksa-Daumantas painted by painter Antanas Racas and donated by his brother Antanas Luksa, , a triptych “Mothers of partisans” created by painter Magdalena Stankuniene and donated by Marija Lisinskiene and others.

In addition, in the exposition there are a lot of showpieces and materials about partisan Povilas Peciulaitis- Lakstingala, who was a comrade-in-arms of J.Luksa-Daumantas.

In the museum, there is a hall where visual materials are demonstrated, educational activities are organised on historical topics of partisans’ fights. Teachers can organize history lessons, workshops and other events there.
The exposition was set up in 2008 in this subdivision of Prienai Region Museum. The author of this exposition is artist Arturas Kaminskas. Head of Prienai Subdivision of Lithuanian Union of Political Prisoners and Deportees Dalyte Raslaviciene gave a lot of materials for this exposition.

How to find us?
Kauno St. 54, Veiveriai,  LT-59292 Prienai District

As concerns visiting the museum, you need to arrange in advance: phone +370 614 70958

The Museum of Historical Memory of Veiveriai Land – a subdivision of Prienai Region Museum.

Website

Map

Homeland of famous Lithuanian writer V.Mykolaitis-Putinas (1893–1967) is Pilotiskes village.

The memorial farmstead has been open since 1967. Maironis Lithuanian Literature Museum took care after this memorial farmstead until 1996, later it became a subdivision of Prienai Region Museum. A lot of meaningful events and activities are organized in this farmstead.

Pilotiskes is a village on the southwestern edge of Naujoji Uta Neighbourhood in Prienai District. In the west, the village borders with Sakaliskes village and villages of Gudeliai Neighborhood of Marijampole Municipality, in the south Pilotiskės village neighbors upon Ivoniskis forests, in the east it borders with Asiukle, and in the north it borders with Paslavantis and Juozapavas villages. It is the center of the Neighborhood.

In the middle of the village, there is the Memorial Museum of Vincas Mykolaitis-Putinas’ homeland, on the house there is a memorial plague with bass-relief of Ausrakalnis described by the writer in the novel “In the shadow of the altars” ( sculptor L.Zuklys). On the edge of the village, in the 35 square of Ivoniskis forest, there is a mythological stone “Devil’s wallet”

How to find us?
Address: Pilotiškių St. 12, Pilotiškės village, Naujoji Ūta Parish, Prienai Distric Manucipality, map
Email: putinoteviske@prienumuziejus.lt

If you wish to visit the museum at any other time, call +370 608 02893

The Memorial Museum of Vincas Mykolaitis-Putinas’ homeland is a subdivision of Prienai Region Museum.

Website: http://www.prienumuziejus.lt/en/exposition/the-native-homestead-museum-of-v-mykolaitis-putinas/

During Lithuanian National Revival, the Hill of Pain was mounded next to the road towards Marijampole. The Soviet authorities put bodies of murdered partisans into tranches remaining from war times nearby town, where during soviet period people secretly built crosses for murdered fighters. The post-war partisans who died in the area were buried there, the monument was built to commemorate them, many crosses and roadside poles with  statuettes of a saint (carved of wood) were set down there too.
For many years, it was unknown where bodies of murdered partisans of Veiveriai area were buried. It was only known that the bodies were put into tranches remaining from war times nearby town. As inhabitant of Veiveriai town Cezaras Pacevicius, who used to be a chairman of the collective farm (kolkhoz) in Veiveriai many years ago, remembers that one of the collective farm’s workers, who worked in the militia, blurted out that the bodies of partisans were put into tranches remaining from war times and filled up. And right then, the epopee of the Hill of Pain started. In the indicated place, 8 human remains were found there, later the bodies of other murdered partisans in Veiveriai area were reburied there.
In 2013 it turned 25 years since the first cross was built on the Hill of Pain, blessed by parish priest Kazimieras Skucas. Only later, the monuments for murdered partisans of Tauras district were built.

How to find it?
The Hill of Pain is next to the road Kaunas–Veiveriai–Marijampole (going from Kaunas’ direction – when you just pass Veiveriai town). Map

Poet Justinas Marcinkevicius was born on the 10th March,1930, in Vazatkiemis, Prienai District, he grew up in the farmer’s family of nine children. The homeland of the poet is Slyvynas (plum-trees) hill, Ilgapieve, Seriuote and Skrode, with a larch in the meadow planted by the poet together with his father. The larch is related with memory, not only about people, close and distant relatives, but also about trees, which connect everyone with this land. In the homeland, the poet „has“ two trees – a larch and a hundred-year apple-tree, which the only one still remaining from the huge garden. The poet’s cradle was swinging between these trees and still cherishing memories of the poet and his whole life. His life in homeland the poet called „rural universities“: „Here, in these rural universities I received everything: reserved and real mother’s love …, a cycle of all earthworks logged with sweat and tiredness, basics of social justice, moral and ethics.“
The most painful memories of the poet – the home burnt down during the war and mother’s death. It might be that due to it, the motive of ashes is so frequent in the early creation of the poet.
The memorial stone to commemorate poet Justinas Marcinkevicius was opened in his homeland in 2013.

How to find it?
Vazatkiemis, Prienai district.

Take the district road No. 3307 Strielciai – Pociunai.
Approaching Pociunai turn left (follow road directions) – towards Pociunai aerodrome.
Turning left and passing a few hundred metres, on the left side of the road, you will see the farmstead of the poet’s home.

Map

Prienai Justinas Marcinkevicius’ Public Library was established in 1937.

The library has changed its name, structure and employees a few times during seven decades of its activities.

In 2011, according to the decision of the board of Prienai District Municipality, Public Library was awarded the name of poet Justinas Marcinkevicius. In the library,

there is a memorial room of the poet.

In 2014, Prienai Justinas Marcinkevicius Public Library was awarded the nomination „The most Lithuanian Library 2013“ for interesting initiatives of encouraging reading and cherishing traditions of Mother-tongue and literaturein the general meeting of members of Public Libraries Association of Lithuanian Municipalities.
At the moment Prienai Justinas Marcinkevicius Public Library has and manages 23 libraries of a town, small towns and villages. The densest network of libraries is in Silavotas and Naujoji Uta Neighbourhoods. The rarest one is in Veiveriai Neighbourhood.

Average distance among libraries is 6,5 km. More than 10 thousand people go to libraries and enjoy the services provided there.

157,6 thousand district inhabitants and quests visit the library, where 285,7 thousand exemplars of different documents are given for them, the library organizes about 800 different events (literature expositions, literature and music evenings, meetings with writers and other famous people, quizzes, disputes, discussions and reviews of books, performances, anniversary celebrations and others).

The main aim of the Public Library is to satisfy informative, cultural, self-educational needs of all inhabitants of the municipality; to guarantee accessibility of the whole information that is in the library by forming a universal fond of documents, structuring, and distributing the knowledge recorded in these documents.

How to find us?
Address: Kaunas St. 2B, LT-59147 Prienai, map
Phone/fax. +370 319 60 380
Email: biblioteka@prienai.rvb.lt
Website: http://www.prienubiblioteka.lt

The tallest tree in Lithuania is 46 m height 150 years age larch in Degsne botanical reserve. The unique artificially planted Degsne larches forest has been preserved since 1960.

To approach the tallest tree in Lithuania, you need to take the good quality unsurfaced road, 2,5 km away from the main road Kaunas-Alytus.

Larches do not grow naturally in Lithuania, however, formerly these trees were simple tress in the territory of Lithuania. More than 150 years ago the first larches plants were planted at the edge of the Degsne forest. Nowadays larches forest covers the area of 2,7 ha. It is the most productive larches forest of all larches forests in Lithuania – timber volume in one hectare is 1237 m3. During a year the forest grows more than 10m3 timber in 1 hectare. Such great productivity of the larches forest is simply explained, as the trees are very tall there. A larch is the tallest tree in comparison with other conifers. The average height of the trees in the Degsne forest is about 42 m., and the tallest trees are up to 45 m height and even more.

How to find it?

Prienai District, Balbieriskis (The Regional Park of Great Nemunas Loops) Prienai Forestry.
Description of the place: Degsnes forest, coordinates 54 0 23‘ ŠP, 24 0 15‘ RI
Coordinates: X:542300, Y:241500

To approach the tallest tree in Lithuania, you need to take the good quality unsurfaced road, 2,5 km away from the main road Kaunas-Alytus. Informative road signs are put near the object and on the road turns.

Map

One of the most beautiful landscapes in Lithuania opens from Balbieriskis exposure, on the left slope of the Nemunas valley. Due to steep mottled banks and unique scenery, this exposure was declareda geological natural monument in 1974.

The height of Balbieriskis exposure is about 40 m (absolute height of the top is about 87 m), escarpment of the slopes is about 50 degrees, but there are some places, where the slopes are vertical, the length along the river Nemunas is about 1,7 km. Balbieriskis exposure is a place where you can fragmentarily observe the whole cut (layer) of limno-glacial sediments’ thickening formed in the former Simnas-Stakliskes pre-glacial period pond at the end of Pleistocene epoch. The majority of limno-glacial sediments consists of striped clay (it might also be called dripped clay), such type of clay is used as the main clay stock for manufacturing bricks, tiles, drainage pipes and other ceramic articles.

How to find it?

Balbieriskis exposure is on the left bank of the river Nemunas, in Zydaviskis village (nearby Balbieriskis town), very close to the road Alytus–Prienai.

Map

The Regional park of the Great Nemunas Loops

Website http://www.nemunokilpos.lt

Until nowadays, Vazgaikiemis has been a little known Lithuanian place in Prienai District, fortunately, it has been reviving for new life which is inexperienced life for our villages. Due to the vision created by president Augustinas Rakauskas of „Senukai“ Enterprises’ Association how the situation which is getting worse in Lithuanian villages might be improved, he started to establish The Public Harmony Park in the area of 160 hectares neighbouring with old granges. The park is surrounded by symbols giving a sense to the objective of the businessperson to join people, to help them to evoke their good beginnings, to develop their consciousness.

Hotels, Spa centres, conference halls, tourism farmsteads, a stud farm, saunas, swimming pools are established in the Harmony Park. It is a great pleasure just to take a walk in the park. On the website of this park, it is written that this is a place where perfectly matches natural nature and modern comfort, simple rest and exclusive entertainment.

How to find us?
Vazgaikiemis, LT-59257 Prienai District, 41st kilometer of the road Kaunas – Alytus (Map)
Phone. +370 650 98 012, fax +370 319 60 322
Email: info@harmonypark.lt
Website: http://www.harmonypark.lt

Dauksiagire Manor was built at the end of XIX century. The manor belonged to   S. Frenkeliai, from 1912 to 1928 the manor was governed by J. K. Sasnauskas, and from 1928 to 1940 it was governed by J. Norkaitis.

At this moment Dauksiagire Manor is a private property and it is renewed by the owners. The manor is surrounded by the remained park with ponds’ system.

Current owners of the manor created the market brand “Confectionary of Daugsiagire Manor” and offer high quality confectionary products made from natural raw stuff and according to ancient recipes.

How to find it?
Dvaro St. 10, Dauksiagire, 59321 Prienai District (Daugsiagires village next to Pakuonis town, Map)

Public Institution „Meninė drožyba“ („Artistic Carving“). Traditional Handicraft Centre

Website https://www.drozyba.lt

Multifunctional Sports Complex (called Prienai Sports Arena) is a universal physical education and sports centre complex, established in 2011.
Different trainings, competitions, regional, republican and international sports and various entertainment events are held in this multifunctional sports complex. Also, there are sports, body-builders, aerobics and other gyms. Nearby there is Prienai town stadium, outdoor sports fields.
The gym of the multifunctional sports complex is a home basketball pitch for Prienai „CBet” basketball team.

How to find us?

Map

Address:

Pramones St. 20, Prienai
Phone: +370 319 60 051
Mobile Phone: +370 685 82415
Audronis Deltuva, a director of Physical Education and Sports Center of Prienai District Municipality
Email: info@prienusportas.lt
Website:http://www.prienusportas.lt

A Lithuanian mead factory won fame for Stakliskes town. For many years the factory was managed by engineer-technologist Aleksandras Sinkevicius, who was a fighter defending Lithuanian Independence, he was a political prisoner too. He re-created mead recipes according to the technological descriptions from historical resources and patented them in Great Britain in 1972. The Lithuanian Mead has received appreciation and recognition not only in the country but also in foreign exhibitions in Zagreb, Leipzig, Paris, London, and Montreal.
Excursions and tasting activities have been organized in the enterprise since May of 2011. During the excursion visitors are introduced with the technology of mead and mead drinks production and manufacturing facilities. Short mead production’s history is presented in a tasting hall, which is set near the branded bar, moreover, visitors are offered to assess taste features of different drinks.
Website: http://www.midus.lt

How to find us?
Address: Trakai St. 9, Stakliskes, LT-59369 Prienai District (Map)
Phone number: +370 677 17411

Pociūnai aerodrome is waiting for both amateurs and experienced aviators. Services provided for them: a modern runway for planes, a huge hangar for keeping aerial-technique, licensed production and maintenance of gliders, and technical maintenance and repair of small planes. Services provided for tourists include not only the joy of flight but also a café, a sauna, accommodation and a conference hall. Services provided for music lovers: annual Pazaislis Music festivals.
Pociunai aerodrome is a flying centre located in Prienai district, Pociunai, in the territory of The Regional Park of The Great Nemunas Loops. The aerodrome is established in Kaunas Region, it is 38 km away to the southeast from regional centre. Coordinates of the aerodrome: 54°39*13* in the latitude of north, 24°03*26* in the longitude of east. The aerodrome is state property, which is supervised by the Kaunas Skydiving Club according to the commodate contract.
Pociunai aerodrome is a flying centre, where the Kaunas Skydiving Club, Aviation sports Club of Kaunas Region, JSC “Termikas (www.termikas.com), JSC “Sports Aviation and Ko”, JSC “Nerka”, Kaunas aero club conduct flights, and owners of Lithuanian aircrafts and aircrafts of pilots association perform flights here too.
Pilots, who have a written permission of the Kaunas Skydiving Club or a user agreement, are allowed to fly periodically in the aerodrome. Small aircrafts fly in the aerodrome – maximum weight is 6400 kilograms. Conducting flights pilots use radio connection which frequency is 125.000 MHz. In the aerodrome, there is a modern runway for planes and a huge hangar for keeping aerial-technique.

Website: http://www.pociunai.lt

How to find us?
The aerodrome is located in Kaunas Region, it is 38 km away to the southeast from regional centre.
Coordinates of the aerodrome: 54°39*13* in the latitude of north, 24°03*26* in the longitude of east.
Take the district road No. 3307 Strielciai – Pociunai.
When approaching Pociunai, turn left (follow roadsigns) – towards Pociunai aerodrome.

Map

JSC „Sportinė aviacija ir Ko“ („Sport Aviation and KO“) established in1969, has been designing and producing high quality record gliders for more than 35 years. It is one of the five world enterprises that designs and manufactures gliders, which are designed for the extra-class competitions. Global trading representatives’ network has been created over many years. It involves more than 30 countries and promotes successful advertising, distribution and services of their production . Almost all items, except small unitary orders, are sold in foreign countries.
Phone: +370 319 60 567, email: info@lak.lt
Website: http://www.lak.lt

Kaunas Skydiving Club
Heady height, parachute jumps and flights, climbing „the rock“ and a flight „airlift“, an extreme obstacles trail „ropes course“, all these activities are not only for adults but for children as well – everything you can try if you arrive at the Skydiving Club  in Pociunai aerodrome. Experienced instructors and sportsmen will show breath-taking flights and parachute jumps
Phone: +370 698 10510, email: mail@skydive.lt
Website: http://www.skydive.lt

Aviation Sport Club of Kaunas Region (KAASK)
In the club you can glide by club gliders or your personal one, which are lifted with a plane or with a special lift. If you want to learn gliding art or to experience silence in the height of bird fly, experienced instructors will always help you. Only here you can see different models of world and Lithuanian gliders.
Air taxi offers sightseeing trips with different routes above the great and small Nemunas’ loops and above the whole Lithuania. It is a great opportunity to see the most beautiful Lithuanian natural creations over bird flight. This club is entrusted to organize European and World Championships.
Phones: +370 319 60 577+370 685 36 25
Email: vytas.@lak.lt
Website: http://www.pociunai.lt

JSC „Termikas“ an enterprise in Pociunai that sells, maintains and repairs acrobatic aircrafts, their components and engines.
Phone: +370 319 60 520, email: Vytas@termikas.com
Website: http://www.termikas.com

The largest tree in Lithuania grows in the Verkne forestry, it is a natural monument – The Great Gojus Oak.
The oak was declared as the object of botanical natural heritage protected by the state. Its height is about 33 metres,the girth(extend) of the tree at the chest level is 6.7 meters. Oak is very viable, however, it is slightly damaged by rot.
Its age is about 400 years. Once it was able to withstand the thunderstorm.
Sculptures – information indexes, a bench created by the folk artists are on the parking lot and near the oak-tree.

How to find it?

The Monumental tree can be easily reached by the road A16  Vilnius–Prienai–Marijampolė, driving about 3,4 km to the east from Stakliskes (Jieznas direction) and taking the south turn following the sign „Gojaus miskas 1 km“ („Gojus forest 1 km“).

Coordinates: 518192, 6048021 (LKS), 54.568483, 24.281325 (WGS), Map

Four permanent sandy islands that cover 2,4 ha territory are formed on the Nemunas islands’ stretch which starts 1,4 km down Prienai bridge and spreads down the river 3,9 km. This stretch is famous for staying and hatching birds. Flocks of a few hundred golden-eyes, mergansers, goosanders, great ducks stay here, colonies of thousands black-headed gulls hatch here too, common terns and little terns, sandpipers, little ringed plovers, common redshanks and peewits nestle up here as well.

On the second half of summer, when enormous areas of sand and siltare formed, migration of snipe birds starts, during the migration you can meet almost all kinds of snipe birds that are recorded in Lithuania. In autumn, huge flocks of different kinds of ducks and swans gather here. Among them there are rare pintail, shovel and grey ducks, little and whooper swans. White storks have become usual birds here. During migrations of birds it is possible to see predatory birds flying back or shortly staying here for food – sea-eagles, black kites, ospreys, peregrine falcons. The most convenient place to observe birds is the place on the road Prienai-Rudupis, on the left bank of the river Nemunas.

Map